With the new requirements to include rigorous and challenging academic and career and technical education in Career Pathways, it is necessary to rethink the way we plan lessons. The National Research Center for Career and Technical Education (NRCCTE) has developed the Math-in-CTE Pedagogic Framework. The seven elements of a math-enhanced CTE lesson are:
- Introduce the CTE lesson.
- Assess students’ math awareness as it relates to the CTE lesson.
- Work through the math embedded in the CTE lesson.
- Work through related, contextual math-in-CTE examples.
- Work through traditional math examples.
- Students demonstrate their understanding.
- Formal assessment.
Along with this framework, the NRCCTE has posted sample math-in-CTE lessons pertaining to several different fields, including Architecture and Construction, Business, Finance, Health Science, Hospitality and Tourism, Information Technology, and Marketing. Find the sample lessons here.